Noida garbage treatment policy to be discussed with residents | noida | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Oct 19, 2017-Thursday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Noida garbage treatment policy to be discussed with residents

On June 2, the authority approved a policy under which RWA can purchase a machine that makes compost out of bio-degradable waste.

noida Updated: Jul 17, 2017 22:23 IST
Vinod Rajput
Noida authority plans to rope in RWAs and individual residents in managing garbage at source.
Noida authority plans to rope in RWAs and individual residents in managing garbage at source.(HT File)

The Noida authority chief executive officer Amit Mohan Prasad will meet residents’ welfare associations on July 20 to discuss and encourage them to participating in the management of solid waste produced in the city.

On June 2, the authority approved a policy under which RWA can purchase a machine that makes compost out of bio-degradable waste. The authority will bear 75 percent of machine cost and remaining 25 percent machine cost will be spent by the respective RWA. The authority will purchase the compost for use in city parks. RWA has the choice of selling the compost in the market to generate revenue.

The objective of the authority with this scheme is that the waste gets treated at the generation point itself. By doing this, the authority wants to save cost needs to be spent in segregation and transportation of the waste from household to designated place.

However, since June 2, no RWA has come forward to participate in this scheme, officials said.

“To begin with, we will rope in 25 RWAs under this scheme. As of now, no RWA has submitted an application. To encourage RWAs, I have called a meeting to discuss the scheme in detail. Our motive is to make Noida a clean city with the help of RWAs. I hope RWAs will come forward to apply for this scheme and participate in making Noida a better city,” said Prasad.

According to a study, Noida’s 14 lakh population generates nearly 660 tonnes of waste daily. However, the city that was developed 40 years ago, does not have a landfill site for disposal of its municipal solid waste. It dumps solid waste onto roadsides and vacant spaces in sector 137 along the Noida Expressway.

“We hope that this scheme works and delivers because at present garbage is dumped on roads and vacant spaces thereby causing pollution. It is a good initiative and we will discuss the scheme with the CEO before applying for the same. There are many RWAs which are interested in it. But we will apply only after a proper discussion with officials,” said AN Dhawan, former general secretary of federation of Noida RWAs (FONRWA), a residents’ body.

Noida and Greater Noida will dump waste at Astoli landfill site, which will be operational by 2018, said officials.

“We will work in association with the Noida authority because it is for the public good. The scheme seems to be good. But we will get to know more about it in the meeting,” said Harish Verma, vice-president of sector 20 RWA.