Noida: RTI activist’s wife says brother innocent | noida | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 25, 2017-Saturday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Noida: RTI activist’s wife says brother innocent

noida Updated: Aug 30, 2014 09:34 IST
Shashank Shekhar
Shashank Shekhar
Hindustan Times
Chandra Mohan Sharma

The wife of RTI activist and AAP member Chandra Mohan Sharma, who faked his death to live with his alleged paramour in Bangalore, has demanded a CBI probe into the case.

Savita has accused the cops of shielding the woman and trying to frame her brother. Sharma had claimed during interrogation that Savita’s brother Videsh had helped him to fake his death.

But though Noida police are patting their back after cracking the case and arresting Sharma from Bangalore, some questions remain.

After the police discovered the charred car on May 1 with a body it —then suspected to be of Sharma —they were in a hurry to prove it as an accidental death but the family cried murder.

Noida police had then taken a sample from the body and preserved it but never sent it for a DNA test to confirm its identity. They didn’t bother to send it for a test even after they got inputs that Sharma was alive.

The police so far haven’t been able to identify the man in the car. Sharma said he killed a mentally challenged man and put him inside the car before setting it on fire, but this claim is yet to be verified.

Then, the police have not named Sharma’s companion her in the FIR even though they said she had been staying with him for the last two months.

“It is not possible that she didn’t know of the plan. She is co-accused and she should be equally punished,” said Savita Sharma.

Though the police detained Sharma in Bangalore and started questioning him on Monday, they hadn’t conducted any raids to arrest his brother-in-law Videsh, who was named in the FIR, till Thursday.

Videsh was last spotted on Wednesday at his Greater Noida home.

Savita claimed the cops were trying to frame Videsh. “My brother is innocent. Why would he help my husband? On the night of the incident, I was admitted at Sharda hospital as I was suffering from typhoid and Videsh was with me,” she said.

Sharma was produced at the district court in Greater Noida on Friday. He was remanded in police custody for two days.