Olympic champion Mo Farah to end track career after 2017 season

  • AP, Birmingham, England
  • Updated: Jun 05, 2016 18:38 IST
Great Britain's Mo Farah talks to the media during the press conference. (Reuters Photo)

World and Olympic long-distance champion Mo Farah said on Saturday that the world championship in 2017 will be his last major competition on the track before he turns his full attention to road-running.

“2017 will be my last track year,” said married father-of-four Farah, who wants to spend more time with his family.

“I love what I do, I enjoy it, but, as I’m away so much, I really do miss my kids. I am away six months of the year.”

Farah was speaking ahead of the Diamond League event in Birmingham on Sunday, which he missed last year because he said he was “emotionally and physically drained” while his coach, Alberto Salazar, was caught up in doping allegations.

Salazar was accused by his former assistant of using doping practices for his athletes at the Nike Oregon Project. Salazar, considered America’s most powerful running coach, has always denied the allegations and no evidence of wrong-doing has been uncovered.

Farah has won two Olympic and five world titles over 5,000 and 10,000 meters while being coached by Salazar, and has stuck by the American.

Asked if he felt he had been proven right, Farah said: “For sure.”

“There is some kind of chat or news saying that, ‘Oh, everything has been done, there was nothing, and they haven’t found nothing,’ which all along I knew anyway and that is why I stuck by (Salazar),” Farah added.

“It’s a new year. What happened last year, I’m past it now.”

also read

Sports Ministry recognises new boxing federation
Show comments