India’s challenge in the 10th World Wushu Championship slated to be held in Toronto from October 24 ended even before it had begun. A delay in permission to the 14-member contingent to participate in the event, forced the team to miss the event.
The Wushu Association of India had sought clearance from the Ministry of External Affairs for the tour about a couple of months ago but approval came on Tuesday, just four days before the world championship. The delay has made it virtually impossible for the association to arrange for visa and book seats in flights to Toronto.
Manish Kakkad, secretary of the association, said that the travel agent expressed inability to arrange for visa in such a short time.
“Though the approval letter from MEA was received on Tuesday, other requirements for the journey to Toronto including visa and tickets could not be arranged. Which is why the tour for the World Championship has been cancelled,” he said.
The national squad for the championship included Gangapati Chanu, silver medallist of the last event held in Beijing in 2007 and Bimoljeet Singh, bronze medallist in Doha (2006) Asian Games.
The Union Sports Ministry had claimed to have accorded priority status to the sport following success of Bimoljeet Singh in Doha. The players had been camping at the Central Regional Centre of SAI here since September 5.