Tiger Woods to be cited for careless driving
Golfer Tiger Woods will be cited for careless driving resulting into car crash outside his home last week, the Florida Highway Patrol said. But the world-famous golfer will not be the subject to any criminal investigation into the incident, said police, who also ruled out any domestic violence charges.other Updated: Dec 02, 2009 12:47 IST
Golfer Tiger Woods will be cited for careless driving resulting into car crash outside his home last week, the Florida Highway Patrol said. But the world-famous golfer will not be the subject to any criminal investigation into the incident, said police, who also ruled out any domestic violence charges.
Woods could face a fine of $164 for the careless driving citation, said Major Cindy Williams of the Highway Patrol in a televised press conference on Tuesday.
The announcement should draw a close to the feverish speculation that has surrounded Woods since he crashed his car outside his Florida home Friday morning. Among the information reported on various websites is that the crash followed an argument between Woods and his wife Elin Nordegren Woods about allegations of his involvement with another woman.
"There is no additional evidence of any kind for a continued investigation," said Williams, who insisted that the golfer had not benefitted from any preferential treatment.
"Despite the celebrity status of Mr Woods, the Florida Highway Patrol has completed its investigation in the same professional manner it strives to complete every traffic investigation."
The statement came a day after Woods said he will not play in another tournament this year following the minor injuries he suffered in the accident.
Woods was scheduled to participate in his own tournament this week in Thousand Oaks, California, and hold a press conference Tuesday. He has cancelled his appearance at the 2009 Chevron World Challenge.
"I am extremely disappointed that I will not be at my tournament this week," Woods said in a statement on his website. "I am certain it will be an outstanding event, and I'm very sorry that I can't be there."
Woods declined to address any questions about why he was leaving his home so late at night and dismissed the speculation as "unfounded and malicious rumours".
The statement said Woods will not play again until 2010.
Woods, 33, who is deeply guarded about his private life, has not discussed details of the single car accident and three times refused to meet police investigators. He released a statement Sunday saying the situation was "my fault" and "embarrassing".
"This is a private matter, and I want to keep it that way," he said.
Driving his black Cadillac sport-utility vehicle, Woods, who was alone, struck a fire hydrant while heading down his driveway in the exclusive, gated Isleworth community near Orlando, Florida.
His wife smashed the back window and pulled Woods from the vehicle. He reportedly was lying on the ground, semiconscious, until an ambulance arrived.