Tiger wounded but safe | other | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 29, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Tiger wounded but safe

other Updated: Nov 29, 2009 00:28 IST

Police prepared to interview golfing superstar Tiger Woods on Saturday to determine whether charges will be filed for a single-vehicle crash that left him with facial cuts and bruises.

The world’s number one golfer was treated and released from hospital after he crashed his 2009 Cadillac SUV outside his luxury Florida home early on Friday, hitting a fire hydrant and then ramming into a nearby tree.

“Tiger Woods was in a minor car accident outside his home last night. He was admitted, treated and released today in good condition,’ the Florida Health Central Hospital said in a statement.

The golfer, who was resting at home, also issued the same statement on his website adding, “We appreciate very much everyone’s thoughts and well wishes.”

Authorities said the 33-year-old crashed into the fire hydrant while leaving his property around 2:25 am (0725 GMT) on Friday in the Windermere community, a suburb of Orlando.

The Florida Highway Patrol earlier said Woods was transported to the hospital in “serious condition,”. Florida Highway Patrol spokesman Mark Welch said the confusion may have stemmed from the initial police report. “Our criteria for serious injuries might be different from that of a hospital,” he said.

Police said Woods was in a semi-conscious state outside the vehicle with his wife, former Swedish model Elin Nordegren, next to him when they arrived. He suffered cuts to both his upper and lower lips.

Nordegren told police she heard the crash and then used a golf club to break a window of the SUV to help her husband. “I believe he struck his head and his wife came out and pulled him out,” Windermere Mayor Gary Bruhn said.

“His wife was there and Mr Woods was on the ground. I’m not going to say in and out of consciousness, but he was dazed. He was bleeding from the mouth and nose.”

No charges have been laid as police said they are still investigating the cause of the crash. It is not yet clear who would face charges. “She was frantic, upset,” Windermere police chief Dan Saylor said of Nordegren late Friday. “It was her husband laying on the ground.”

Saylor said he had no knowledge of any problems between Woods and his wife. But the incident came just two days after a US tabloid published an article alleging Woods was having an affair with a New York club hostess. “Right now, we believe this is a traffic crash,” Montes said. “We don’t believe it is a domestic issue.”

Bruhn said the ongoing probe does not necessarily mean that there will be charges. “I personally feel it was an accident,” he said. “I have read the police report and it says there was no alcohol involved. I think it was just a simple accident.”