Hockey World League: Jasjit Singh brace helps India into semis | othersports | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 24, 2017-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Hockey World League: Jasjit Singh brace helps India into semis

othersports Updated: Jul 02, 2015 11:58 IST
Hockey World League


With the help of two penalty corner drag flicks from Jasjit Singh, India edged past hosts Malaysia 3-2 to enter the semi-finals of the Hockey World League Semifinals on Wednesday.

India were lifted by the two successive penalty corner conversions from Jasjit in the 48th and 55th minutes to avenge their loss to the Malaysians by a similar margin in the Azlan Shah Cup two months ago.

These were the first two drag-flick goals scored by Jasjit in international hockey and they could not have come at a better time for Sardar Singh's team which took the initial lead through a field goal by Satbir Singh in the third minute.

But Malaysia shot back through two penalty corner conversions by captain Razie Rahim in the 15th minute and Shahril Saabah in the 23rd minute to seize the advantage. Falling back to defend their territory, Malaysia denied the Indian strikers time and space.

The fast-paced encounter was played with the temperature on the pitch crossing 40 degrees Celsius. India now await the winner of the quarter-final between hosts Belgium and France.

Earlier, Great Britain defeated Pakistan 2-1 in the quarter-finals to set up a meeting with World champions Australia, who outplayed Ireland 4-1 to enter the semi-finals.

All quarter-final winners secured a spot in the World League Finals, to be played in India later this year, and also boosted their prospects of earning one of the three Olympic qualification spots available at this tournament. India have already qualified for the 2016 Olympics by virtue of winning the Asian Games gold medal at Incheon last year.

Against Malaysia, India surged ahead in the third minute. Akashdeep Singh did the spadework for the goal by darting into the circle from the right flank, sending a crisp cross that Satbir swept into the boards.

Malaysia shot back, forcing four penalty corners in the first half, two of which breached the Indian defence to produce goals and put them into the lead at the interval.