Festival of Lights turned out to be black for many locals as Rajindra Hospital reported 13 cases of burns suffered while burning crackers.
A few of them were discharged after giving them first aid whereas some of them were admitted to the hospital.
Eighty-year-old Bacchan Singh, resident of Ludhiana, suffered 60% burns when a cracker fell inside his house while he was sleeping. He was referred to the hospital here, where doctors stated his condition to be critical. A boy who received minor burns on his face while lighting a cracker was also admitted to the hospital.
Of these cases, three people received serious eye injuries.
Fifty-year-old Mohinder Kaur, resident of Patiala, was sitting nearby as her grandchildren were bursting crackers when a cracker hit her in the eye.
Dr Kaustubh, junior resident, eye department, said her eyeball had got torn.
Eleven-year-old Harmandeep Singh, resident of Deep Nagar, was hit by a cracker sparkler in the eye. His optic nerve got damaged. He underwent a surgery at the hospital.
Rakesh Aggarwal, resident of Tripuri, was on his way home at night when a cracker hit his eye. His chances of regaining vision were bleak, said the doctors.
Sparklers are one of the major causes of injuries requiring hospitalisation of the patient, said Dr Kaustubh.
Four cases of minor injury were reported at Amar Hospital; the patients were discharged after administering them first aid.
JS Sra of Amar Hospital said every year, children between five and 17 got injured while lighting crackers. Burns on the hands and face were common, he said. "People try to burn crackers in their hands. They also try to relight crackers, which do not burst, a practice which leads to accidents. One needs to be careful with crackers," he said.
Sukhdeep Singh Boparai, a specialist at Patiala Eye Hospital, said, "We received three to four eye burn cases, but they were not so severe. However, we have kept the patients under observation.
GS Randhawa of Randhawa Eye Hospital, said, "We haven't received many patients this time as compared to what we received last year. Two cases were reported and they were discharged after administering them first aid. The amount of nitrate in a firecracker determines the intensity of burns."
Jitender Singh, station fire master, said, "Heap of garbage at several places in the city caught fire. However, no major untoward incident occurred and no one was injured in such incidents."