The state government has failed to pay remaining 20% arrears of Punjabi University teachers. The state government had paid the 80% arrears related to the pay revision under Sixth Pay Commission of the University Grants Commission (UGC) pertaining from January 1, 2006 to August 31, 2009, in March this year and had withheld the remaining 20%.
According to available information, the state finance department had issued a notification in January this year to release the arrears in three instalments on January 31 (30%), February 28 (30%) and March 31 (40%). The government, however, paid 80% of the arrears in March, withholding the rest 20%. Jaswinder Singh Brar, convener of Democratic Teachers' Front (DTF) said the non-release of 20% arrears till date was unjustified, unconstitutional and arbitrary in nature. Brar said not only this, Punjab government had discriminated against the university teachers in the payments of arrears.
“The government college teachers and teachers of government-aided private colleges in the state had already been paid the arrears in full in March,” he claimed. “If government could pay arrears to college teachers than why not to university teachers,” he questioned.
The DTF has urged the government to release pending arrears before the start of the next academic session on July 1 and requested the chief minister to personally look into the matter.