Punjabi varsity teachers demand arrears

  • Navrajdeep Singh, Hindustan Times, Patiala
  • |
  • Updated: Jul 23, 2013 21:11 IST

Punjabi University teachers have accused the state government of indifferent treatment as it has not allegedly kept its promise of releasing the outstanding pay arrears to teachers.

According to information, the government has cleared all dues of teachers of Guru Nanak Dev University (GNDU), Amritsar, while it has failed to release the remaining 20% pay arrears of teachers of Punjabi University for the past four months.

The state finance department had issued a notification in January this year to release the arrears in three instalments -- on January 31 (30%), February 28 (30%) and March 31 (40%).

The state government had paid the 80% arrears related to the pay revision under the Sixth Pay Commission of the University Grants Commission related to the period January 1, 2006 to August 31, 2009, in March this year and had withheld the remaining 20%.

However, as per information, GNDU teachers were given their complete dues in June. Even the government college teachers and teachers of government-aided private colleges across the state were also paid the pending arrears in March.

Prof Jaswinder Singh Brar, convener of the Democratic Teachers' Front, said the state government had released 80% arrears funded by the Centre in March but failed to give its 20% share till date.

"It is a sorry state of affairs that the Punjab government has discriminated against Punjabi University teachers in the payment of arrears," he said.

"If the government could pay arrears to the GNDU and college teachers, then why not us," he said.

Terming the attitude of the state government as unjustified, unconstitutional and arbitrary, Prof Kesar Singh Bhangu said the failure of the government in releasing their outstanding arrears depicted poor fiscal condition of the state.

"Chief minister Parkash Singh Badal should look into the matter as to why the state government could not honour its promise," he said.

Officiating registrar Davinder Singh said the university had written to the state government to release the arrears at the earliest.

"The university authorities are pursuing the matter with the CM office and the finance department," he said.


also read

Kejriwal sold AAP’s interest to Akalis, says Harinder Singh Khalsa

blog comments powered by Disqus