The Bihar police are gearing up to counter the attack by terrorist outfit, if any, in the state. The senior police officials reviewed security arrangements for the second consecutive day on Saturday in the wake of threat issued by a Bangladesh-based terrorist group, Huji, to blow up the Patna junction, Patna Sahib railway station and the Mahabir temple near Patna junction.
In a letter issued to the Patna Senior SP, the copies of which were also sent to the DGP, IG (Operation), IG (Special Branch) and DIG, central range, Inspector General (Patna zone) Sunil Kumar said that security should be stepped up in the state capital in the wake of terrorist attacks in Mumbai, Bangalore, Ahmedabad and Assam.
The IG (vide letter No 1882) asked all the police stations in the State Capital to be fully geared up to meet any eventuality. The Station House Officers (SHOs) have been asked to keep sophisticated weapons like AK-47, Insas rifles, SLR and Carbine in ready to be used at the time of emergency. Bulletproof jackets and night vision devices should also be available at the police stations, the IG’s missive said.
The IG felt that there should be a Quick Response Team (QRT) at the police control room. The quick response team comprising efficient officers should be available at the police control room to respond to the situation immediately. The fuel tank of the QRT vehicles fitted with wireless sets should be full. The drivers, policemen and the dedicated officials deployed on the QRT vehicles should be fully aware of the topography of the area, the IG’s missive said.
The IG also stressed the need of mock drill by police personnel so that the exact response time could be ascertained. City Superintendent of Police Anwar Hussain has been entrusted with the task of looking after the contingency aspect. The IG also cautioned the Traffic police personnel about abandoned vehicles. “The traffic personnel should be engaged in carrying out intensive checking of vehicles at public places and also in front of the police stations,” the IG’s letter said.
Traffic policemen carrying revolvers should be deputed at crowded places. Policemen deployed at the Police Outposts need to be sensitized to inform the people of the respective areas not to touch abandoned goods like vehicles, cycles, Tiffin boxes and pressure cookers. Dedicated intelligence units should be engaged in collecting intelligence about activities of terrorists/Maoists. The intelligence inputs gathered by the intelligence units should be taken seriously. The importance of human intelligence under such a situation cannot be ignored, he said.
Special surveillance is required around important places like the Patna High Court, Raj Bhawan, Secretariat, Chief Minister’s residence and the Vidhan Mandal. Other crowed places like PMCH, NMCH, Cinema halls, Gandhi Maidan and railway stations should be under close surveillance. Apart from uniformed constables, policemen in plain clothes should be deputed at Boring Road intersection, Hanuman Mandir near Rajvanshi Nagar, Rajendra Nagar, Patna new market, Pathar Ki Masjid, Patan Devi (both choti and badi), Shitala Mata Mandir and Gurudwara as a precautionary measure.
Sources said that fire brigade and ambulance service providers have also been put on alert.
· Security arrangements reviewed for the second consecutive day
· Sophisticated weapons like AK-47, SLR, Insas and Carbines should be at police stations in good condition.
· Quick Response Team at the Police Control Room
· Efficient and trained officers to be deputed in the QRT
· Armed Traffic police personnel to be deployed at crowed places and important intersections.
· Masses need to be cautioned not to touch abandoned goods and inform the police if found.
· Special surveillance around Patna High Court, Raj Bhawan, Vidhan Mandal, CM residence, Secretariat, Mahatma Gandhi Setu, PMCH, NMCH, Cinema halls, railway stations and airport.
· Policemen to be deployed at Boring road intersection, Rajvanshi Nagar Hanuman Mandir, New Market, Pathar Ki Masjid, Badi and Choti Patan Devi, Shitla Mata Mandir, Gurudwara, Gandhi Maidan and Beur Jail.