Ex-IMA chief gets himself admitted as probe begins

Dr Ramesh Prasad Singh, senior surgeon and former IMA state president, on Wednesday got himself admitted in a local cardiac support facility claiming a heart condition, even as the police started investigations into the case involving a woman, who has claimed she had been confined by him and sexually abused by him and his associates.

Meanwhile, the police investigating the charges against Dr Ramesh Prasad Singh, said, gWith the doctor under observation, investigations into his role could not be taken up on Wednesday.

The police are yet to take up investigations into the kidnapping charges filed against the doctor on October 1 after the woman had gone missing on September 26.

They had tracked the call details of both the doctor and the woman and found that both responded from the same mobile tower. This was the basis of their complaint lodged with the Rajiv Nagar police station then.

A senior police officer told HT that the police would be tallying the call details.

If the calls are from the woman's side alone, that will more likely suggest her tacit involvement.

However, if the doctor's call data tally with the complaint, lodged via the victim's statement that she was forced to receive them and report at the clinic, then the doctor will certainly be at fault.

The senior officer added that the victim's medical examination was to be carried out partly at Gardanibagh hospital and then at the PMCH.

He said there should be no doubts about the police intentions to arrive at the truth since going by Supreme Court riders, the victim's complaint has to be get precedence, even if medical reports do not throw up leads.

We always have the option of a pathological investigation at a neutral venue, he said.
Family members of the victim alleged that the police deliberately delayed the medical examination on Wednesday.

It is almost 32 hours since she was found unconscious, yet the medical examination was taken up only after 2pm of Wednesday, they said.

They added, there was an element of harassment, too, in the fact that separate persons have recorded her statement five times since Tuesday. Also, as against the norm that a woman should be allowed to file a statement to a woman officer this was not followed.

Patna police claimed they had no woman officer available to record the statement. Interestingly, after the victim was brought back from the hospital, the usual procedure of summoning magistrate and recording the statement under Section 164 of the CrPC was not followed.

The police minding a new law under the Doctor's Protection Bill, which suggests that a DSP rank officer should supervise the case, put in City SP Jayant Kant to record the first statement.

A DSP is to be put in charge of supervising the case. DIG (central range) Sunil Kumar told HT, "This case will be resolved on the basis of the call details. It has been wholly established that the woman indeed underwent a gall bladder operation at Sharda Sewa Sadan nursing home run by Dr Ramesh Prasad Singh."

Interestingly, the open poser remained when one of the accused in the kidnapping case was arrested on October 3 and sent to jail, why the doctor and one other, who were also accused by name, had not been apprehended so far.

Meanwhile, Dr Ramesh Prasad Singh issued no clarifications by himself but set the IMA office-bearers and leaders to allege that the charges were made against him for blackmailing purposes.

"There is no evidence or proof of his involvement so far," the IMA claimed, despite the arrest of one accused in the kidnapping case, of whom the doctor was an alleged partner.

Earlier, SUCI (Communist) activists gheraoed the Rajiv Nagar police station and demanded immediate arrest of the accused doctor.


also read

BJP looks for caste fillip for Bihar polls as Modi magic fades

blog comments powered by Disqus