FIR against 2,000 people for Muz violence

  • Ajay Kumar, Hindustan Times, Muzaffarpur
  • Updated: Jan 20, 2015 15:09 IST

An FIR was registered at Saraiya police station of Muzaffarpur on Monday against 2,000 persons, including 50 who were named, in connection with the killings and large scale arson at Ajizpur village, the epicenter of the violence.

Fourteen persons have been arrested in connection with the arson.

Many houses at the village were torched by a mob comprising members of another community to which the boy killed belonged and whose body was recovered from Ajizpur on Sunday.

The murdered boy had gone missing 10 days earlier and a emissing person' case had been instituted.

While three persons were charred to death on Sunday when the mob torched 18 houses at Ajizpur, the toll in the violence reached four, following the recovery of the body of a teenaged boy from a wheat field near the village.

Chief minister Jitan Ram Manjhi, who cut short his Maharashtra trip to rush back to Patna Monday afternoon, has already announced a high-level inquiry in the incident by the home secretary and the additional director general of police (headquarters).

The FIR was lodged against nearly 50 named persons, while, more than 1950 unknown persons have also been made accused of the incident.

The bodies of the victims were handed over to their respective family members after post mortem examination. Later, they were buried at their native village under a thick cover of security. The body of the fourth victim was sent to Sri Krishna Medical College and Hospital (Muzaffarpur) for autopsy.

Meanwhile, life at Ajizpur, the epicenter of arson and at the adjacent village of Bahilawada Bhuwal, to which the boy allegedly killed for ehonourf belonged, appeared to be ecalmf amid peace talks and heavy deployment of force.

Station house officers (SHOs) of Saraiya, Paroo and Karja police stations of Muzaffarpur conducted raids through the day to nab the persons responsible for the incident.

Confirming the arrest of 14 persons, additional director general of police (ADG), headquarters, Gupteshwar Pandey, said additional forces had been deployed in the village to prevent any recurrence of violence.

"Four companies of Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), five companies of Bihar military police and one company of rapid action force have been deployed to maintain peace in the region," he said. Pandey himself led a flag march of security forces, which moved through all the major thoroughfares of the town.

“I have requested the people from all community not to be swayed away by rumours. I also held a meeting of a local peace committee,” said the ADG.

Muzaffarpur SSP RK Mishra described the situation as peaceful. A three-tier security arrangement had been made at the village, its periphery and in the district headquarters to quell any violence, he added. Relief work at the affected village had been started on a war. Said divisional commissioner Atul Prasad: “Altogether 56 families have been affected by the incident. We are giving Rs. 5 lakh as ex-gratia to the kin of the dead, as per the chief minister’s announcement”.

He said Rs. 4,200 in cash and ration had already been distributed among the victims’ families. “We are assessing the damage to the houses. We will give Rs. 1 lakh for repair of pucca houses and Rs. 5,000 for kuchcha houses.”

also read

Bihar road rage case: Rocky Yadav to be sent back to jail as SC blocks his bail
Show comments