PMO initiative: CBI set to probe Navruna case
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) is all set to take up the sensational Navruna Chakravarty kidnapping case, which has remained unsolved for almost a year.patna Updated: Aug 26, 2013 20:53 IST
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) is all set to take up the sensational Navruna Chakravarty kidnapping case, which has remained unsolved for almost a year.
Navruna went missing from her home in the Ghirnipokhar locality under Town police station in the north Bihar district headquarters town of Muzaffarpur, on the night of September 18, 2012.
Official sources confirmed on Monday that the CBI had initiated the processes to take over the case from the Bihar CID, following the intervention of the Prime Minister's Office (PMO).
Acting on a request from Navruna's uncle, Navajeet Chakravarty, the PMO has forwarded a letter it had received from him last June to the department of personnel and training (DoPT) for "action as appropriate".
The DoPT, in turn, forwarded the PMO missive to the director, CBI, with the same direction - 'for action as appropriate'. Now, it has been confirmed the CBI is already into the act.
A senior police officer said the station house officer (SHO) of the town police station had received calls from the CBI's Patna office about the Navruna case details, including the FIR lodged in its connection.
"We have learnt the CBI is also in touch with officials of the criminal investigation department (CID) in Patna, which took over the probe into the case from the Muzaffarpur police", the officer added.
Other sources said a CBI team was expected to arrive here very soon to take possession of the documents related to the case.
Navruna's father, Atulya Chakravarty, said he had heard that the CBI was preparing to start its investigation into the case but so far nobody had contacted him.
Navruna, just 12, according to the DoPT letter, when she went missing last year, was a class 7 student of a convent school in Muzaffarpur town.
Following her disappearance, the PMO wrote four letters to the chief secretary, Bihar - on November 7 and November 26 (in 2012) and on January 3 and January 8 (in 2013), requesting the matter be looked into.
On January 13, the state government handed over the probe into the case to the CID, which, too, failed to achieve any breakthrough. Later, Navajeet Chakravarty again approached the PM for its intervention.
Sources said CBI sleuths would formally take up investigation into the case after a notification regarding its takeover by the agency was issued. This had been the main demand of Navruna's father and mother.
They had refused to give their blood samples to the Bihar police for matching them with a skeleton found near their home, which the police claimed, could be that of the missing girl.
The Chakravarty couple had insisted they would their blood samples only to the CBI.