100 days on, police fail to trace minor daughter of army man | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 20, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

100 days on, police fail to trace minor daughter of army man

punjab Updated: Apr 15, 2014 19:46 IST
Sat Singh
Sat Singh
Hindustan Times
14-year-old girl

The mother of a 14-year-old girl and spouse of an army man posted at Jammu and Kashmir has been running from pillar to post to trace her daughter, who was abducted from Myna village of the district more than three months back. The police have failed to make any breakthrough.

The girl was first abducted from her home by four accused, identified as Rohit, Narender of Myna village and Pradeep and Dilla of Kathura village, on October 28 and was made captive and repeatedly raped till December 20, when the police recovered her. All the four accused were charged with rape and are currently lodged in a local jail.

The ordeal of the victim, however, did not end. She was allegedly abducted again on the evening of December 31, 2013, by unidentified people and there is no trace of her ever since. The victim was a student of class 9.

Victim's 40-year-old mother has met chief minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda, incumbent MP Deepender Singh Hooda, inspector general of police AK Rao, SP Rajesh Duggal, but whereabouts of the victim are still not known.

Sharing her ordeal with Hindustan Times, victim's mother said that senior police officials and political leaders have stopped taking her calls. She said that the callousness of the police could be gauged from the fact that the main conspirator in her earlier abduction, Vijay Pehalwan, was still roaming free.

She alleged that it was Vijay who used his car and roped in four others, who are currently in judicial custody, to commit the crime.

She said that when she met SP Rajesh Duggal, she was rebuked by the police officer saying that for recovering her daughter he couldn't spoil the reputation and lives of youths on the basis of suspicion. She also alleged that the station house officer concerned wanted to strike a deal with her that if she wanted her daughter back, she would have to forget more arrests in the case.

Her husband who is working as nayak subedar in the army, while talking on mobile phone, said that he had also got a letter sent to the director general of police and the chief minister, urging them to mobilize resources to help trace his daughter and get the case investigated from the Central Bureau of Investigation, but to no avail.

Investigation officer and deputy superintendent of police, Shamsher Dahiya, told HT that special teams had been constituted for solving the case and efforts were being made to trace the girl. On the arrest of main conspirator Vijay Pehalwan, he said that they would look into his role, if needed.