Though the district administration has imposed a complete ban on the sale of lethal China-made 'dor' (string) used for flying kites, dozens of shops in various parts of the town are selling the string right under the nose of the authorities.
In the latest incident that occurred on Saturday, a 13-year-old girl, Jaskaran Preet Kaur, a resident of Mann Nagar locality, received a deep cut on her neck when she came into contact with the deadly string while she was standing on the roof of her house.
The string made a grievous cut on her throat vein, which resulted into heavy bleeding. Even the voice box of the girl was seriously damaged due to the cut.
She was rushed to a private hospital at Batala, but seeing her serious condition, doctors referred her to a hospital in Amritsar.
The Chinese kite string is made of polythene and is very flexible as compared to the traditional local string and the chemical coated on it makes it very sharp and dangerous.
Moreover, the colours used in the string make it not easily visible to the human eye.
Last year, two children were killed while more than half a dozen persons were seriously injured at Batala and in the surrounding areas due to this 'killer' string.
In the wake of increasing incidents of injuries due to the unchecked use of Chinese string, the district administration had imposed a complete ban on its sale. However, the string is easily available in the markets of Orhi Gate, Qaddi Zatti, Dera road and Umpura road.
When contacted, Batala SSP Manminder Singh said, "We have already conducted raids at certain shops. Now, we are going to form a special team which will conduct surprise raids all over the town and anybody using or selling this deadly string will not be spared".