A 14-year-old boy died when he accidentally pulled the trigger of his father's licensed gun while trying to pick it up at Dhudike village in Moga district on Wednesday night.
"Gurpal Singh was cleaning his gun at night and left it on the bed to go drink water," Jaswinder Singh, station house officer of Ajitwal police station, said.
"His son, Vikramjit Singh, was sitting on the bed at that time. As soon as his father left, the boy tried to pick up the gun from the bed. While doing so, the gun suddenly went off and the shot killed him." The police handed over the body to the family after post-mortem.