15-year-old case of steel agent's murder: Bail plea of accused dismissed | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 23, 2017-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

15-year-old case of steel agent's murder: Bail plea of accused dismissed

punjab Updated: Jul 30, 2015 22:09 IST
Tarsem Singh Deogan
Tarsem Singh Deogan
Hindustan Times
Vipan Jindal

In the 15-year-old murder case of steel agent Vipan Jindal, the court of additional sessions judge Jatinderpal Singh Khurmi on Wednesday dismissed the bail plea of accused Narinder Kapoor, an iron trader.

The court said, "The prima facie material is on the file now against petitioner Narinder Kapoor. The circumstances have now changed. Seeing the gravity of the offence, no ground for the grant of anticipatory bail is made out. Hence, the same stands dismissed."

It is pertinent to mention here that Jindal's close friend Ram Kumar filed a complaint with the police alleging Kapoor had administered poison to Jindal on August 29, 2000 over monetary issue.

But, the police took three years to register a case on December 3, 2003 and that too after intervention of Human Rights Commission.

Kumar alleged that the police have been hand in glove with the accused and not making efforts to arrest the accused.

The sexagenarian, Narinder Kapoor, filed a bail plea before sessions court a few days ago, after the court of judicial magistrate Munish Garg had issued non-bailable warrants against the him. The court has ordered him to face the trial under Section 302 (murder) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC). The next hearing of the court is on August 7.

Division Number 5 station house officer (SHO) Beant Juneja said, "The accused is at large. Police have been conducting raids for his arrest."

Brief history

Vipan Jindal died on August 29, 2000 under mysterious circumstances. He had recorded his statement to Dr N Sridhar Rao, who was administering treatment to him at Dayanand Medical College and Hospital (DMCH) before his death.

Deceased's close friend ram Kumar filed complaint with police, who refused to register murder case.

The police registered a case of murder against Narinder Kapoor on December 3, 2003 following the orders of Punjab Human Rights Commission.

The police had filed the cancellation report in the case in 2004 due to lack of evidence. The court accepted the cancellation on October 11, 2004.

The complainant, Ram Kumar, challenged the cancellation in sessions court and the additional sessions judge accepted the revision on November 23, 2004.

The accused Narinder Kapoor moved the Punjab and Haryana high court against the orders of Session Court. The High Court had accepted the revision on December 14, 2005. After it the Complainant Ram Kumar had approached the Supreme court of India, but remained unsuccessful.

Kapoor had lodged FIR against Ram Kumar for lodging FIR against him using fake documents in 2006.
During the probe the SSP of Khanna had traced Dr. Sridhar Rao from Andhra Pradesh, who had recorded his statement with the police.

After that Ram Kumar filed complaint in the court on March 31, 2009.

The court issued non-bailable warrants against Narinder Kapoor and ordered him to face trial under Section 302 of the IPC.

Next hearing of the case is on August 7.