17 minor rape cases in Jalandhar, but none referred to child welfare panel! | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 10, 2016-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

17 minor rape cases in Jalandhar, but none referred to child welfare panel!

punjab Updated: Dec 24, 2013 20:48 IST
Jatinder Kohli
Jatinder Kohli
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Nearly 17 cases of rape of minor girls were reportedly registered in the city during this year but, surprisingly, none of the cases was referred to the district child welfare committee as per the Protection of Children from Sexual Offenses (POCSO) Act, 2012.


Under the act, the police have to report the minor rape case to the committee within 24 hours of recording the complaint, to arrange for the long-term rehabilitation of the child victim.

Speaking to the Hindustan Times from New Delhi, Kaushal Singh, chairperson of the national commission for protection of child rights (NCPCR) also confirmed that as per the procedure, it is the duty of the local police to inform the child welfare committee within 24 hours of the incident.

However, Singh said it the committee does not receive any details of such a case from the police, it can take suo-motu notice of media reports of minor rape victims and act on them.

Singh further said that the committee can also recommend relief funds to the minor rape victim after getting a report of the case from the police and can arrange education and counselling of the victim.

When contacted, Punjab State Commission for Protection of Child Rights secretary Sameer Kumar showed unawareness about this provision of the Act and SAID "he was learning about this from you only".

District program officer Sukhdeep Kaur said that they have not received any case of minor rape victim from the police so far and said that we take cases for action after the court's orders.

Police commissioner Ishwar Singh was unavailable for comments.

No headway in maid rap case

Even after 90 days of the registration of a case against 65-year-old businessman Harbans Dhall for allegedly raping his 16-year-old maid, the city police have failed to make any headway in the investigation of the case and still groping in dark. Monday was the last day of arrest warrants of the accused in the case and now the police have started proceedings to declare them proclaimed offenders (PO's).

Assistant commissioner of police (west) Ravinder Pal Singh Sandhu said that apart from declaring them PO's, proceedings to attach their properties will also be started.

Sandhu said that notices would be pasted outside residences of all the persons booked in this case in coming days.

The police have been facing criticism for allegedly adopting soft attitude in arresting the businessman along with three others, due to pressure of a BJP leader, who is reported to be trying for a settlement as the accused persons are influential.