Eighteen children in the age group of two to ten, fell ill after consuming poisonous wild fruits, including six who were said to be in a serious conditon.
They were initially admitted to government hospital in Rajpura, but were referred to Rajindra Hospital, Patiala for intensive care.
The parents of the children work as labourers at a brick kiln in village Dhanasu Kalan. Sajid, whose child is critically ill, said the children had plucked and consumed some poisonous fruits from a wild tree while the adults were busy at work.
"After that they started vomiting and we rushed them to Rajpura hospital from where the doctors shifted the children to Rajindra Hospital via a special ambulance," he added.
SMO Rajpura, Jarnail Singh said that there were symptoms of food poisioning. Doctors said that Toyba (8), Shenaj (6), Veena (6), Agnaj (10), Harzana (10) and Rizwana (10) were in a critical state.