19-yr-old electrocuted, friend suffers burns | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Sep 26, 2017-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

19-yr-old electrocuted, friend suffers burns

A 19-year-old youth was electrocuted, while his friend suffered injuries, after the plastic string of their kite got entangled with high-voltage wires crossing over the roof in Ashok Nagar on Sunday.

punjab Updated: Jan 13, 2014 12:00 IST
HT Correspondent

A 19-year-old youth was electrocuted, while his friend suffered injuries, after the plastic string of their kite got entangled with high-voltage wires crossing over the roof in Ashok Nagar on Sunday.


The deceased has been identified as Prince of Sarup Nagar, while his friend who suffered burn injuries is Mani, 23, of Ashok Nagar. He has been admitted to Dayanand Medical College and Hospital (DMCH), where his condition is stated to be critical.

Prince, an electrician, had gone to Mani's house to fly kites. Meanwhile, the string of Mani's kite came in contact with the electricity wire crossing over the roof. Prince, who was standing besides Mani, rushed to his rescue, but also came in contact with the wires.

Their other friends flying kites rescued them and rushed them to a private hospital in the area.

However, sensing their condition, the doctors there referred them to DMCH. Meanwhile, Prince succumbed to injuries before reaching DMCH.

According to eye witness Baljit Kaur, who was watching them from roof of her house, Mani was after a kite that was crossing over the roof after being cut off. Meanwhile, its plastic string entangled with the high-voltage power cables and the electric current ran through the plastic string, gripping Mani. In the attempt to save him, Prince was electrocuted.

It is pertinent to mention here that sale of plastic kite string is banned under orders of the deputy commissioner and police commissioner.