1984 riot victims to receive Rs 2-lakh grant, says MHA

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, Chandigarh
  • Updated: Jun 13, 2016 14:31 IST

Over 900 affected families of the 1984 anti-Sikh riots, who were denied the rehabilitation grant of Rs 2 lakh, now have a chance to avail the amount as the Union ministry of home affairs (MHA) has directed the Punjab government to reopen all pending cases of the riot-hit families.

The ministry has asked the state government to verify and settle claims of the riot-hit families in three months. The compensation thus given would be reimbursed by the Centre.

Of the 1,020 cases that came up for rehabilitation, only 72 cases were verified and recommended for payment. The remaining 948 are still pending.

Former Rajya Sabha member from Punjab Avinash Rai Khanna on Sunday said the Centre had accepted the recommendations of Justice GP Mathur Committee looking into grievances of the riot-affected families, and had recommended the compensation.

The committee reported to the Centre in December 2015 and orders to the state government were issued last month, added Khanna.

“The Punjab government has also been asked to formulate a scheme to provide skill development training to members of the riot-affected families,” added Khanna.

He raised the issue during a special mention in the Rajya Sabha in February last year, demanding a committee to identify the riot-hit families and resolve their problems.

also read

Arvind Kejriwal promises tax cut to small-scale industry in Batala
Show comments