Two ‘birs’ of Guru Granth Sahib caught fire in a gurdwara near Meerankot village in the district on Saturday.
As soon as the news of the incident came in, a large number of villagers, some Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) leaders and the police reached the gurdwara. Later, it was learnt that the incident happened due to electric short circuit.
Talking to HT, senior superintendent of police (SSP), Amritsar (rural), Jasdeep Singh said, “The holy ‘birs’ were kept in a specially made cabin and there was a fan overhead that remained on round-the-clock. It is suspected that the short circuit happened due to overheating of the fan. The cabin was badly damaged due to fire and two ‘birs’ were also damaged.”
Though villagers and members of some Sikh organisations had gathered at the village, but they remained calm as it was an accident,” he added.
UNFORTUNATE, SAYS AKAL TAKHT JATHEDAR
Terming the incident as very unfortunate, Akal Takht jathedar Giani Gurbachan Singh asked the SGPC to probe the matter.
He said, “It is shocking that short circuit always happens in gurdwaras. We have issued instructions time and gain to stay alert but the people are still ignorant.”