2 suffer burns, wood worth lakhs gutted in fire in Kalanaur villages | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 09, 2016-Friday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

2 suffer burns, wood worth lakhs gutted in fire in Kalanaur villages

punjab Updated: May 21, 2012 19:27 IST
Kamaljit Singh Kamal
Kamaljit Singh Kamal
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Two persons suffered serious burn injuries even as wood worth lakhs of rupees and 50 haystacks as well as wheat stubble in over a dozen villages in Kalanaur area were gutted after a fire fanned by strong winds spun out of control.


The cause of the fire could not be known immediately.

Kulwant Kaur and a migrant labourer Jatinder of Purnian village of Uttar Pradesh were struck by lightning at her house in Kalanaur village during light showers which followed the dust storm.

Navtej Singh and Sawinder Kaur, who suffered serious burn injuries, were residents of Rose village and were riding a tractor near a field where straw caught fire on Sunday evening. Both were referred to government hospital in Amritsar after first-aid at community health centre, Kalanaur.

Those whose haystacks were destroyed in the fire were Tara Singh of Kalanaur, Gurdeep Singh of Nahar village, Mandeep Singh Bhandhu and Ravdeep Singh of Mastkot village, Jaswant Singh, Baldev Singh, Bawa Singh and Jaswinder Singh of Pedowal village, Rashpal Singh, Kulwant Singh and Harbans Singh of Deol village, Balwinder Singh ,Gurmit Singh, Gurmukh Singh and Nirmal Singh of Pannuan village, Sawinder Singh and Nishan Singh of Virk village and Dharam Pal Singh Bedi and Nirmal Singh of Pindian village.

Apart from wheat stubble on several acres of land in different area villages, the fire also burnt at least 570 saplings of hybrid eucalyptus trees belonging to Ravail Singh of Pindian village, vegetables grown on two acres and saplings of poplar trees belonging to a farmer Gurjit Singh of Sukha Raju village.

Houses of a few farmers also caught fire in Virk village, causing a loss of lakhs of rupees. Villagers complained that no fire tender was pressed into service to control the blaze.