23-acre wheat stubble gutted in Faridkot | punjab$bhatinda | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jul 27, 2017-Thursday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

23-acre wheat stubble gutted in Faridkot

Wheat stubble on 23 acre-land was gutted in Pakhi Kalan village on Sunday evening. The fire broke out due to a short-circuit in high-tension power wires passing over the fields.

punjab Updated: Apr 25, 2017 16:01 IST
HT Correspondent
A saw­mill and other items that were gutted in Faridkot on Monday.
A saw­mill and other items that were gutted in Faridkot on Monday.(HT Photo)

Wheat stubble on 23 acre-land was gutted in Pakhi Kalan village on Sunday evening. The fire broke out due to a short-circuit in high-tension power wires passing over the fields.

After burning the stubble, the fire spread in the area and a saw-mill located near the farms also caught fire. “I was alone at my sawmill when the fire broke out in the fields around 7:35 pm. The flames gutted 23 acres of stubble. As the air flow was towards the residential area, my saw mill located behind the farms also caught fire.”

A Honda Activa scooter, a refrigerator, nine sacks of wheat, wooden pieces and ₹10,000 cash were burnt in the fire. I suffered over ₹1lakh loss. Hundreds of villagers tried to control the fire and a fire brigade was called in”, said Jagjit Singh, a resident of Pakhi Kalan village. He added that the fire could have burnt the whole village as piles of straw were stored in the houses opposite his sawmill.

“Panic gripped the villagers as the fire was spreading fast. Villagers residing nearby vacated their houses in anxiety. There could have been loss of lives and properties if the straw heaps would have caught fire,” added Jagjit. Luckily, the rain at the right time, according to the villagers, extinguished the fire, saving the houses opposite the saw mill.

Gurdit Singh Sekhon, Aam Admi Party leader, Faridkot, said, “There is only one fire tender to serve Faridkot city. The fire tender, which reached at the spot went short of water causing delay in controlling the fire. It returned to refill the water tank. The Almighty was kind as the rain extinguished the fire and saved lives. The entire village could have been burnt. It is the carelessness of the electricity department as villagers had submitted numerous complaints regarding the same. This is the fourth time that the fire broke in the same fields due to short circuit”.

Bhupender Singh Sekhon, fire officer, Faridkot, said, “We are short of one fire tender here. We have already raised the issue with the administration and we are hopeful of getting another fire tender soon”.