As many as 28 huts were reduced to ashes in a fire that erupted after an overhead electrical wire fell on the structures at Wariyana village the near Nanandpur railway crossing on Tuesday afternoon, causing huge financial losses to the poor migrant families.
After receiving information, two fire tenders rushed to the spot to control the fire.
Before the fire tenders controlled the blaze in an hour or so, the poor families’ belongings such as including clothes, beds, daily need items, television sets etc had been destroyed into the fire. There was no casualty in the incident.
The families claimed that their habitats were completely destroyed since the fire tenders arrived late.
Jageshwar Sahni, a native of Samastipur district in Bihar and one of those whose hut was gutted, said he along with his neighbours was sitting near the railway crossing when suddenly an electric wire crossing overhead their huts came down and caused the fire.
He said there was no arrangement of water near the huts due to which they were unable to douse the flames.
Raj Kumar, another resident, said they have no any option but to spend the nights in the open in the cold weather.
Nearly 200 people, including children, have been hit by the tragedy.
The poor families claimed to have arranged the goods by working in the fields as labourers. They asked the district administration for immediate rehabilitation.
Till the filling of this report, revenue officials and Shiromani AKali Dal (SAD) leader Gurdeep Singh Nagra rushed to the spot and assured help to the affected families.