Three ‘birs’ of Guru Granth Sahib were burnt in a fire at a gurdwara in Banga’s Gadaani village in Nawanshahr district in the wee hours of Friday.
Ruling out foul play, the district administration said the fire broke out due to a short circuit.
The ‘birs’ have been sent to Goindwal Sahib for performing last rites as per Sikh tenets.
The granthis of Gurdwara Sri Charan Kanwal Sahib, Desa Singh and Palwinder Singh, performed the ‘ardaas’ before sending the ‘birs’ to Goindwal Sahib.
Banga deputy superintendent of police (DSP) Sarabjit Singh Bahia said Amarjit Kaur, who stays in the langar hall of the gurdwara, saw smoke billowing from a room.
She informed the granthi, who reached the spot and tried to extinguish the fire along with other villagers.
“As per the preliminary inquiry conducted by the local police, the fire broke out due to a short circuit in the room where the ‘birs’ were kept,” the DSP added.