4 fire mishaps cause damage in crores | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
May 30, 2017-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

4 fire mishaps cause damage in crores

Goods and vehicles worth crores were damaged in four fire mishaps in the city and Khanna on Wednesday.

punjab Updated: Jun 12, 2014 10:47 IST
HT Correspondents

Goods and vehicles worth crores were damaged in four fire mishaps in the city and Khanna on Wednesday.


FIRE AT ANIMAL FEED FACTORY

The first incident was reported from Avinash Industries, a private factory manufacturing feed for animals, in Khanna. The portion of the factory’s building collapsed in the mishap. However, as the fire occured early in the morning, the premises were vacant.

Claiming that he had suffered a loss of Rs 2.5 crore in the incident, factory owner Tarsem said as soon as he came to know about the fire in the morning, he reached the factory and sounded the fire stations of Samrala, Mandi Gobindgarh and Patiala, following which eight fire tenders were pressed into service to control the fire.

He claimed that the fire broke out in the DOC machinery, which was used to manufacture animal feed. He said even though the electric supply to the machinery was cut during night, as the temperature of the machinery remained very high, the raw material for making feed might have caught fire.

Ratinder, owner of the adjoining factory, said fortunately, the fire tenders reached on time. Else, the fire could have spread to adjoining factories of Godrej and Markfed companies.

The cause behind the fire could not be ascertained by the time of filing of this report.

VEHICLES DAMAGED AT HOSPITAL PARKING

Another fire broke out in the parking area inside Dr BL Kapoor Hospital, Ludhiana, where four cars were gutted, besides considerable damage to other vehicles. According to the fire wing, two fire tenders were sent to the spot to douse the fire. It is learnt that fire broke out after sparking in electricity wires.

TARPAULIN SHOP GUTTED

In another mishap near Rekhi Cinema at Ashoka Readymade, a shop dealing in sale of tarpaulin, the fire broke out around 11:30am.

As locals saw smoke bellowing out of shop, they tried to put it out, but it soon went out of control, following which the fire wing was sounded.

Assistant divisional fire Bhupinder Singh said seven fire tenders were sent to the spot.

The shopkeeper alleged that the landlord was behind the fire, following which other shopkeepers staged a dharna against the landlord. Later, the police pacified the protesters with the assurance of appropriate action.

“The shop is connected with a vacant plot behind it through a door. The fire started from this door, which nobody, except the landlord and the shopkeeper has access to. The fire then spread inside the store where tarpaulin sheets, readymade material and other articles got gutted,” said Parampreet Singh Mann, who runs an adjoining store, which is owned by the same landlord.

“We swiftly took out our articles from nearby shops as the flames were not under control,” he added.

Taking note of the allegations, police claimed that the investigation was on.

BUSHES CATCH FIRE ON PAU CAMPUS

A fire broke out next to the Communication Centre and Extension Education building at Punjab Agricultural University (PAU) around 2pm.

As the fire occurred in an open patch with overgrown bushes and weeds, there was no damage to life or property.

While estate officer JS Mahal could not be contacted despite repeated attempts, BS Sohal, director of communication, PAU, said fire was extinguished immediately and no one was harmed.

According to an eyewitness, Ramesh Babu, a sweeper in the communication centre, “I saw a high-tension wire falling on the ground, and immediately the bushes caught fire. I sounded the landscaping department who brought in water tanks to extinguish the wire. I took more than 30 minutes to extinguish the fire.”

Vice-chancellor BS Dhillon also rushed to the spot to take stock of the situation.