400 farmers leave for Delhi against WTO farm deal

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, Nabha
  • Updated: Sep 27, 2015 22:10 IST
“This government is supporting the corporate sector at the expense of the farmers,” said Nek Chand Khokh, a Bhartiya Kisan Union (BKU) leader.

More than 400 farmers from Bhartiya Kisan Union (BKU) (Rajewal), all residents of the Nabha block, left for New Delhi on Sunday afternoon to join a protest march being organised by farmers from across the country against the Trade Facilitation Agreement that the country is considering to sign with the World Trade Organisation.

“This government is supporting the corporate sector at the expense of the farmers and this can never lead to development. The developed countries have reached this stage only through providing subsidies to their agriculture, but now demand that developing nations like India must not do so,” said Nek Chand Khokh, a BKU leader.

“We have not yet received payment for sugarcane that we sold last year. Basmati does not even have the MSP protection and is selling at less than 50% of last year’s rates. The farmer is again left with no option, but to head back to growing paddy,” said Jagjit Singh Mahlowal, while boarding the Amritsar Dadar Express, adding that the government must promise farmers that it would not sign a deal that would destroy Indian agriculture.

also read

SS Kohli appointed Patiala urban SAD unit president
Show comments