5 yrs after kidnapping, copsclueless about missing boy | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 10, 2016-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

5 yrs after kidnapping, copsclueless about missing boy

punjab Updated: Apr 03, 2013 00:18 IST
Highlight Story

Five years after a seven-year-old boy was allegedly kidnapped here, the city police are yet to trace him.


Tired of the “lackadaisical attitude” of the police, the victim's father, Vinod Kumar, a hosiery worker, has moved the Punjab and Haryana high court.

The high court has directed the police to submit an action-taken report in the matter by April 12.

According to Vinod, his elder brother Anant Ram of Bahadurpur village of Haridwar, had kidnapped his son, Vineet Kumar, on February 27, 2008. He alleged that the accused also demanded Rs 2 lakh as ransom to release his son.

Vinod claimed that Anant Ram had come to visit him in 2008. “Anant believed that I had a lot of money. Therefore, he kidnapped my son and left a hand-written note demanding ransom,” he alleged.

Vinod claimed that despite timely informing them of his son's kidnapping, the police took two days to register a case. He said if the police had taken timely action, his son could have been rescued.

He alleged that even after registering the case, the police did not take the matter seriously and did nothing to trace his son.

The harried father alleged that the police had failed to find the whereabouts of Anant Ram as well. Therefore, he had now approached the high court with a hope to find his son.

Refuting Vinod's allegations, Inspector Brij Mohan, station house officer (SHO), Division Number 3 police station, said the police had been taking the matter seriously.

He said the police had conducted several raids at all possible locations of the accused, but to no avail. The SHO added the police had even announced a Rs 50,000-reward for anybody giving information about the accused or the kidnapped child.

Autistic boy missing for over a year

The police are also clueless about the whereabouts of a 16-year-old autistic boy, who has been missing for over a year.

The victim, Raja Babu, is a resident of Badewal Road. His father, Mohammad Sani said his son was unable to speak. He said Babu had gone missing from their house around one year ago. He had filed a missing report with the PAU police station in this context, but he was yet to get news of his son.

A native of Bihar, Sani said they had tattooed their mobile phone number on the arm of their son, but nobody called them with his information. The tense father fears that his son might have been pushed into begging.