7 yrs after straying into Pak, Mumbai engineer walks back a free man | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 26, 2017-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

7 yrs after straying into Pak, Mumbai engineer walks back a free man

punjab Updated: Oct 25, 2012 21:24 IST
Aseem Bassi

Seven years after straying into Pakistan, Mumbai-based computer engineer Bhavesh Parmar on Thursday walked into India a free man.

Parmar was reportedly depressed after the death of his father and having quit his job with a multinational.

His mother, Hansa Parmar, was here since morning to receive her son, who had gone missing from their Mumbai home.

It was at 3.05pm that 32-year-old Parmar set foot on the Indian soil. As he neared his mother, he was quiet and hugged her when someone pointed towards her. Hansa was in tears but Parmar didn't show emotions and looked depressed.

Not able to recall exactly when did he cross over to Pakistan, Parmar said, "I don't know. The only thing I remember is that I was unconscious and somehow reached Pakistan on Samjhauta Express."

Happy to be home, he said, "I had once written to my mother from jail and always wanted to meet her. I am happy and want to go home."

When asked how was he treated in the jail, Parmar said it was fine.

As there were reports that Parmar was ailing in jail, the authorities had arranged an ambulance at the border, but Parmar chose to walk instead.

Earlier, Hansa said, "My husband had not been keeping well and was diagnosed with cancer. To look after him, my son applied for leave from his job but as he did not get a long leave, he resigned. Later, my husband passed away, sending Bhavesh into depression."

She said, "One day I had gone out and on my return found Bhavesh missing. We tried to trace him but to no avail. It was in 2008 that someone in Mumbai Police informed us that Bhavesh was in Lahore's Kot Lakhpat Jail," she added.

"I was always worried about his health. He is finally here and we will start a new life," she said.

Mumbai MLA Krishna Hegde, who was accompanying Hansa, said they had taken up the issue of getting Parmar released with the external affairs ministry seven months ago and were happy to see him back.