92 students taken ill after consuming jatropha seeds

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, Karnal
  • Updated: May 04, 2014 14:10 IST

As many as 92 students were taken ill after they consumed seeds of jatropha tree at Gharaunda town in the district on Saturday.

According to the information, a group of nearly 250 students of Government Senior Secondary School were taken to the herbal park at Gharaunda on an education trip. On reaching at the park maintained by the state forest department, a section of students mistook jatropha seeds as edible fruits and consumed them.

Soon, the students started complaining of stomach ache and many of them started vomitting.

Students were rushed to community health centre (CHC) and given first aid.

Later, deputy commissioner Balraj Singh also visited the students at the CHC and directed the health authorities to ensure proper medical treatment.

Senior medical of ficer Dr Kulbir Singh said that all students were out of danger and had been discharged after the treatment.

No other sign of food poisoning was detected during the treatment, he added.

also read

Navjot Sidhu meets AAP’s Durgesh Pathak: Result to be zero, says Harsimrat Badal
Show comments