Abandoned West Bengal girl handed over to state police | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 28, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Abandoned West Bengal girl handed over to state police

punjab Updated: May 07, 2012 19:08 IST
HT Correspondent

Deputy commissioner Ravi Bhagat on Monday handed over a West Bengal girl, Shukla Shah, 23, who was found at Mumara village near Sadak on March 17 under mysterious circumstances, to her brother-in-law and the West Bengal police.

Mumara sarpanch Gurchain Singh had handed over the girl to police and district administration. The girl, whose mental and physical condition was unsound, was not even in the condition to tell her name.

Shah was kept in the Red Cross short-stay home, Faridkot, and was given medical treatment. She gave mobile phone number of her elder brother-in-law Utpal Roy after which her family was traced.

Her father had also lodged a missing person's report with police, who were looking for her.

Shukla Shah was identified as daughter of Sat Narayan Shah, a resident of Milanpore in Uttardineshpore district of West Bengal. She was pursuing her post-graduation there.

Two sub-inspector rank officials accompanied by two other police employees from West Bengal reached Faridkot on Sunday to take the girl back. They said police were looking for her, but were unable to trace her.

Police and the girl's family came to know about her after she gave the mobile phone number of her brother-in-law to authorities in Faridkot. "We will hand over the girl to her parents through court," police officers from West Bengal said.

"I am thankful to the Faridkot administration, police and everybody else for ensuring the safety of the girl," said Sumit Shah, who accompanied the police party.

The girl, who looked upset, wanted to go home. Her brother-in-law said she had left home due to some trivial dispute.

Faridkot tehsildar Harsimran Singh and Red Cross secretary Roshan Lal Goel were also present during the media briefing.