Abducted girl found packed in gunny bag, two arrested | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 27, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Abducted girl found packed in gunny bag, two arrested

punjab Updated: Feb 25, 2014 23:38 IST
Jatinder Kohli

Four-and-a-half-year-old Diya, daughter of Major Sukhjit Singh, who was abducted from outside her house on Monday evening, was dramatically found packed in a plastic gunny bag abandoned in an empty plot in New Defence Colony, just 150 yards from the house of Diya.

According to information, at around 6pm, Raj Kumar, a resident of the colony, went to the site after his daughter-in-law Meenakshi heard a child crying in the empty plot.

When Raj Kumar reached the site, he noticed some movement in the bag and sound emerging from it.

He opened the bag, which was fastened with a piece of rope, and found Diya inside it. He found her mouth fastened with a medical tape and she was wrapped in a bed sheet.

Diya was unconscious at the moment when Raj Kumar opened the bag and there were minor injury marks on one side of her neck.

Raj Kumar then called up other family members who immediately informed family members of Diya in nearby Ranjit Enclave.

On the other hand, the police officials, camping in Ranjeet Enclave and nearby areas for the last 24 hours by placing nakas, failed to notice anyone who left the bag in the plot in which Diya was packed.

The family took Diya to nearby Military Hospital and came back after preliminary medical examination. The child was a little unconscious even when she reached her home.

Diya's mother Navneet Kaur told mediapersons that it was due to efforts of the police and prayers of people that her daughter was alive and safe and thanked them all.

Asked whether Diya said anything, Kaur declined to say anything and let Diya take rest.

Police officials refused to say anything about kidnappers and asked mediapersons to wait for tomorrow when the entire picture would be cleared.

Kidnappers wanted to make a fast buck
Police commissioner Ishwar Singh said that the police have arrested one Satveer Singh, 27, a resident of Deep Nagar and his wife Meghna of Bombay for allegedly kidnapping Diya.

Both had been living in nearby Deep Nagar for the last three years in a rented accommodation.

Singh said that both wanted to become rich and that's why they had planned to kidnap the girl. They had reportedly demanded Rs 1crore from the family of Diya.

However, Singh declined to comment on Sunita, whom Prince had sold a mobile phone sim.

Singh said the kidnappers had kept the girl in their rented accommodation.

He said that they had given chocolate, toffees and some intoxicant to Diya during abduction.

The family members of Mahinder Singh, who died after the city police picked up his son Prince, a resident of Bhargo Camp on Monday night, held a meeting with sub-divisional magistrate Neeraj Gupta and other police officials. Prince had allegedly sold a mobile sim card to one of the alleged abductors of Diya.
The administration has reportedly promised to give a government job and `2lakh as compensation to one of the kin of the deceased.