Action committee, Shruti's parents to move to Jalandhar on October 31 | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 21, 2017-Saturday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Action committee, Shruti's parents to move to Jalandhar on October 31

punjab Updated: Oct 28, 2012 19:57 IST
Highlight Story

The action committee in the Shruti abduction case has announced to move to Jalandhar on October 31 to arrange a meeting between Shruti and her parents.

Holding a press conference here, members of the action committee alleged that first Shruti was held hostage by the goons and now the Punjab government had held her hostage in the Nari Niketan in Jalandhar.

"The government has pressed Shruti and now it does not want Shruti to meet her parents as she can spoil the government's chances of defaming the people's movement to rescue Shruti from the goons," said Shingara Singh Mann.

He said, "We condemned the statement of chief minister Parkash Singh Badal in which he justified the police's role in the episode. The CM also wanted to save the accused. His government has not punished the then DSP Gurmeet Singh, who did not act on the day Shruti was abducted."

"We have decided to visit Jalandhar in large numbers with the parents of Shruti on October 31. We will ask the government to arrange a meeting with Shruti, who has been now kept as hostage by government at the Nari Niketan," said Swaran Singh, action committee member.

He said, "If the government fails to arrange the meeting, we would sit on dharna outside the Nari Niketan."

"We will also held a rally in Bathinda on November 9 to expose the real face of the state government in the case," said Mann.

He said, "The government is trying to prove people of Faridkot wrong and it has spread false statements in the media in Shruti's name. Also, it has been selectively leaking the biased information in media to save its face."

"The government will have to bear the consequences of its anti-people attitude on the issue. The government must suspend all officers who sabotaged the investigation and hand over the girl to her parents," said Mann.