Continuing their agitation against the private bus operators in the city against alleged attack on their vehicles, the minibus operators on Monday decided to go on strike on Tuesday.
They threaten not only to cease their services — the lifeline of the city and remote villages — on Tuesday, but also to shut down the Inter State Bus Terminal (ISBT).
Their decision to go on strike came in the wake of the clash that took place on Sunday between them at the local bus stand, in which two persons were injured and six buses damaged.
Besides, police had booked seven people in this connection. Anguished at not being allowed to ply their buses as well as the registration of a case against them, the minibus operators held a protest for almost two hours at the bus stand on Monday. They alleged that the seven people, who had been booked, were minibus operators.
CPI, farmers’ unions support strike
The Communist Party of India (CPI) and various farmers’ unions on Monday pledged their support to the strike of minibus operators.
During a rally held at the Company Gardens on Monday, the CPI announced its support to the minibus operators. “We have decided to support the minibus operators, who are not being allowed by the private bus operators to ply their buses,” said Amarjit Singh Asal of the CPI.
“On Tuesday, the bus stand should be completely cordoned off and no bus should be allowed to enter or exit,” said Baldev Singh Babu, secretary, Minibus Operators’ Union.
He added that despite a complaint made by the union against the private operators, the cops were yet to register a case against them.
“A case has been registered against us, but not against the private bus operators because they are influential,” Babbu said.
“While a number of private bus operators are offering services in the city, it is actually the minibuses that are the lifeline of the city. Besides, we are also catering to the people from remote areas and the agrarian community,” he maintained.