Heaps of disposable garbage is a common sight at various banquet halls in PAthankot, where various functions are held, as the organisers pay scant regard to the tribulations of those living in the immediate neighbourhoods.
Once these functions get over, stray animals and birds flock near their venue to feed upon the waste food material. While some people find the riverbeds and open spaces to dispose of such material, others burn the garbage, thus creating air pollution in the localities.
Dr Vijay Arora, former assistant civil surgeon, says this smoke is dangerous and harms the brain and lungs.
The foam used in making the disposable utensils emits coloured smoke which affects lungs badly, Arora says.
“My residence is near a banquet hall and I well understand the agony one has to undergo living in such vicinity. The banquet hall owners have no fear of the authorities concerned as they are never penalised,” rued Vimal Kumar, a resident of Dhangu Road.
Pathankot deputy commissioner (DC) Siben C said, “I will issue strict guidelines to banquet hall owners and hoteliers to dump the disposable garbage properly. I also expect cooperation from the local residents who arrange functions at home to dump the disposable garbage at the dumping yards of municipal body.”