Angry workers vandalise over dozen garment manufacturing units in Gurgaon

  • Leena Dhankhar, Hindustan Times, Gurgaon
  • Updated: Feb 13, 2015 00:55 IST

In what looked like a well-planned move, more than a dozen of garment manufacturing units were vandalised and over 100 cars, including two Mercedes damaged and over a dozen cars were set ablaze after hundreds of irate factory workers in industrial belt Udyog Vihar, Gurgaon turned violent on Thursday afternoon. Also, the workers pelted stones when the management tried to control them. One of the executives was rushed to hospital after he suffered injuries.

The violence triggered after the workers of Gaurav International and a sister-company Richa Global- both garment manufacturing companies, heard story of a fellow worker dying in hospital on Thursday while undergoing treatment. The worker was allegedly assaulted by the company administration for reporting late on Tuesday and was admitted in a hospital. The police later claimed that the injured worker had not died and it was just a rumor.

Around 1:40pm on Thursday, when the workers went out of the factory during the lunch hour, a mob suddenly joined them and started vandalising the parked cars inside the factory building on plot no. 236 of Udyog Vihar Phase-2. Gradually, the workers of all its 14 factories vandalised more than 100 cars.

Many of the workers could not understand what went wrong but it seemed to be a planned violence.

The entire stretch of the road was crowded by the workers who were pelting stones and holding sticks. The visitors had to leave the area immediately and many of them ran towards the main road leaving their vehicles and saving their lives.

The tea vendor also had to run away after he saw the workers turning violent. The agitated workers did not let anyone enter the road and threatened to set people to flames if anyone tried to control them, said the company management.

Not even a single car and two wheelers were intact in the lane where the companies were located.

According to the company General Manager, Sammi Chand- a 32 year-old worker, a resident of Kapashera, worked in quality checking department of Gaurav International was not allowed to punch-in his attendance when he reported 10 minutes late on Tuesday.

“He had already come after two days leave. After around four guards at the reception of the company stopped him, he started abusing them and also turned violent. They landed in a tiff, resulting in assaulting each other. Later when the worker resisted, a personal manager was called who too assaulted him further and the worker collapsed and was later rushed to a hospital and admitted there,” he added.

“Mohan Malhotra, the injured manager of one of the factories was rushed to the civil hospital after he was assaulted by the workers on Thursday and he is undergoing treatment,” said police.

ACP (Crime) Rajesh Kumar said, “Chand was rushed to Delhi Safdarjung hospital and after he got discharge on Wednesday, he complained to Udyog Vihar police station. The matter was investigated by the SHO and they were waiting for the medical report to register the case, but on Thursday afternoon during lunch hour his wife spread news that Chand has died today in the hospital”.

According to the police, more than 200 miscreants from outside were called in to the area and they provoked the workers to vandalise the vehicles parked inside and outside the factories premises. Within half an hour they vandalised all the cars parked in those 14 factories, including that of the visitors and set the cars and motorbike on ablaze.

Gurgaon police commissioner Navdeep Singh Virk said, “The miscreants who turned violent were not from the factories and were outsiders. There is no report of any death or injury and no one has come up to us with any complaint. There has been major loss in the companies and we are conducting investigation as to what triggered to this incident. Nearly 1000 cops were rushed to the area to control the situation”.

Mohan Singh, worker at garments unit said, “The fire tenders, which got distress call, reached the spot 40 minutes late and doused the flames. The police did not take action despite the complaint on Wednesday else this could have not happened”.

Police teams located the injured Shammi and he was at home in the evening after the incident and was absolutely fine, said police.

also read

Punjab govt releases 6% DA for employees, pensioners
Show comments