Goods worth lakhs were gutted in a major fire that broke out in the three-storey building of a garments store in Akalgarh market of Chaura Bazaar on Sunday. The fire also spread to the adjoining building, where some articles were damaged. Shopkeepers of the area claimed that the incident took place due to short-circuit.
According to eyewitnesses, the fire broke out at Sunder Kala clothes store that is housed in a three-storey building. They sounded the fire brigade that reached the spot in 20 minutes and controlled the fire. Shopkeepers of the market also came forward to help the fire fighters, as the area is very congested.
“The short-circuit took place due to naked wires passing near the building. The fire department was informed and shopkeepers started efforts to douse the fire, as soon as they saw smoke in the clothes store,” said Gurdeep Singh Gosha, a Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) leader and senior member of the market association.
Gurmail Singh, a fire official, said, “We got a call at 2:10pm and reached the spot soon. It took a team of 15 fire fighters and six fire tenders from various zonal offices around 2.5 hours to douse the fire.”
The exact damage is yet to be ascertained. This was the second fire incident in Chaura Bazaar in May.