The jails department has suspended two employees and recommended registration of a case against four inmates for allegedly attacking a prisoner inside the central jail here last month.
As the video of the attack on an inmate, shot by the attackers has come out, questions are being raised over the functioning of the jail. Superintendent of the central jail Sukhwinder Singh Sahota said that the incident took place on January 26 at about 5 pm when four inmates attacked Darbara Singh, an undertrial, who is an accused in a case of opening fire on BJP district (rural) president Gurwinder Singh Bhagta in November last year.
Sahota said that two jail employees head warder Har Rajwant Singh and warder Kuldeep Singh have been suspended for dereliction in duty as they were deployed in the barrack when the incident took place.
He said that a mobile phone had also been recovered from the accused and it is being examined if the video was shot using the same phone or not.
A case has been recommended against gangsters Manoj Mojjy, Mandeep Singh, Gurpreet Singh and Sukhjinder Singh. Sahota said that the police would record the statement of Darabara Singh after registering a case. The jail authorities have also recovered a mobile phone from the barrack in which the incident took place.
Station house officer, Civil Lines police station, Angrej Singh, said that they hadn’t received any communication regarding the registration of a case in this connection and will do so as soon as they will receive the letter.
Earlier, the jail had hit the headlines after gangster Kulbir Naruana had opened fire on a member of a rival gang inside the jail in April last year. The probe after the incident had found glaring anomalies in the functioning of the jail authorities. Gangsters, including Naruana, had also uploaded their group photos clicked inside the jail in March last year. As many as nine mobile phones were recovered from inside the jail in a fortnight after the incident of firing last year.
Deputy inspector general of jails Lakhwinder Singh Jakhar said that an inquiry into the attack and the video shoot has been marked to deputy inspector general of police (DIG) Surinder Singh.