Attack on Shiv Sena leader: Accused sent to two-day police remand

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, Gurdaspur
  • Updated: Apr 13, 2015 21:20 IST

The prime accused in the murderous attack on Shiv Sena leader Havinder Soni, Kashmir Singh, and his two associates Inderpal Singh and Gurjit Singh, were on Monday remanded to two-day police custody by the court of duty magistrate Palwinder Singh.

Gurdaspur senior superintendent of police (SSP) Gurpreet Singh Toor said Inderpal and Gurjit helped Kashmir in conducting recce to track Soni’s movement, besides giving shelter to the prime accused.

Another accudes arrested

Meanwhile Kashmir’s another accomplice, identified as Anurag, alias Lalla, a resident of Kalaspur village in Moradabad district of Uttar Pradesh was arrested on Monday by the Khanna police. The police are seeking his transit remand to bring him to Gurdaspur, the SSP said.

Toor said Kashmir’s interrogation revealed that he procured an illegal country-made .315-bore pistol along with cartridges from Moradabad with Anurag’s help. They both came in contact at Galwadi village in Khanna where Anurag is working as a labourer with a building contractor. Kashmir revealed that Anurag had accompanied him to Moradabad in March to procure the illegal weapon used in the crime, said the SSP.

After the attack, Soni was rushed to the civil hospital from where doctors referred him to Fortis Hospital in Amritsar. He was operated upon and is stated to be stable.

Soni was on the hit list of Sikh hardliners following his alleged involvement in the beating up Sikh boys in Gurdaspur on March 28, 2012.

Complete bandh in Gurdaspur

A complete bandh was observed in Gurdaspur on Monday to protest against the attack on Shiv Sena leader Harvinder Soni.

The bandh, called by Hindu organisations, passed off peacefully as all shops and business establishments remained closed. The government offices remained open, but the attendance of visitors was thin. Police was deployed in all major areas of the city.

A tense calm prevailed in the city as no gathering was held by any organisations to register protest in the city.

The link road buses remained off the city roads and the passengers were dropped at the entry points to the city. Commuters had to face a tough time as in the absence of any conveyance within the city limits, they had to walk on foot to their destinations.

Meanwhile, senior superintendent of police Gurpreet Singh Toor thanked the residents for maintaining peace and communal harmony during the bandh.

also read

EVMs in Punjab to have candidates’ photos to end namesake confusion
Show comments