Advertisement

HindustanTimes Sat,29 Nov 2014

Kin of man abducted in Iraq have not heard from him since June 15

Neeraj Mohan, Hindustan Times  Sangrur, August 18, 2014
First Published: 08:54 IST(18/8/2014) | Last Updated: 08:56 IST(18/8/2014)

The family of Dhuri-based Preetpal Sharma, who was among the 40 Indians kidnapped from Mosul in Iraq, has not heard from him since June 15, when he was abducted.

Worried for his safe return from terror-stricken Iraq, the family members said they had been making repeated visits to the ministry of external affairs in Delhi to find out about the whereabouts of Preetpal, who last telephoned his family on June 15.

Talking to HT, Preetpal’s son Neeraj Sharma, a Class-11 student, said, “We are sure that my father will come back, but we do not have any information about his current location.”

“We have already made two visits to Delhi, now we have to go to Delhi again in a day or two to know more about my father,” said Neeraj.

“The external affairs ministry has assured us that my father is safe and that they are in contact with him. But, we just want to talk to him.”

According to the family members, on June 15 Preetpal telephoned his wife Raj Rani and told her that a few people had taken them in their custody outside a cotton factory in Mosul, offered them food and were going to take them to the airport to send them back to India.

Preetpal, the sole breadwinner of the family, had gone to Baghdad in Iraq three years ago, along with people from Hoshiarpur, to work as an electrician.
 
After failing to find work there, he went to Mosul, the family said.

Hoping to hear some information about him, Preetpal’s family members, including his wife, son and daughter, now follow the news regularly.
 
Sangrur deputy commissioner Arshdeep Singh Thind said, “As of now we do not have any information.

But, I will direct my officers to find more details about Preetpal’s location.”

However, Dhuri sub-divisional magistrate (SDM) Isha Singal could not be contacted in spite of repeated attempts.

comment Note: By posting your comments here you agree to the terms and conditions of www.hindustantimes.com
blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement
more from Bathinda

100 Mansa families ineligible, govt to recover money

The state government’s Shagun scheme, introduced to encourage and facilitate the marriage of financially poor girls, has come to haunt the beneficiaries in Sardulgarh subdivision of the district as, in a recent audit report, it has been found that the 100 families, who were given funds under the scheme, were not eligible for them as their daughters were minor and below marriageable age.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved