Biker bleeds to death as banned kite string slits his throat on highway | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Aug 23, 2017-Wednesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Biker bleeds to death as banned kite string slits his throat on highway

A 52-year-old man riding a motorcycle died on the spot after a stray kite string — the banned, made-in-China variety — slit his throat, leading to excessive bleeding, on the Batal-Amritsar highway on Sunday evening. The string is banned by the district administration but it continues to be sold. 

punjab Updated: Jan 17, 2017 15:59 IST
HT Correspondent
The victim, Harvinder Kumar, was identified as a resident of Jammu from the identity cards in his wallet.
The victim, Harvinder Kumar, was identified as a resident of Jammu from the identity cards in his wallet.

 

A 52-year-old man riding a motorcycle died on the spot after a stray kite string — the banned, made-in-China variety — slit his throat, leading to excessive bleeding, on the Batal-Amritsar highway on Sunday evening. The string is banned by the district administration but it continues to be sold. 

The victim, Harvinder Kumar, was identified as a resident of Jammu from the identity cards in his wallet, but more details were awaited as his family was still to reach Batala, police said. 

On Friday evening, too, a 16-year-old boy dead had died due to  electric shock when the kite string that he was holding came in  contact with high-voltage wires, at Qadian. 

The Chinese string is made of plastic material, which makes it more flexible and lethal in kite-fights, and it is also coated with chemicals to make it sharper. Worse, colours used in the string make it nearly invisible.