A holy ‘bir’ of Guru Granth Sahib, ‘palki’ and clothes were burnt partially after a fire sparked due to a short-circuit inside Gurdwara Baba Jivan Singh at Talwandi Mohar Singh village, which falls under Sadar police station, on Sunday.
The incident happened at 4.30 am when gurdwara’s granthi Ranjit Singh was preparing ‘parshad’ in the courtyard of the gurdwara. Suddenly, power went off and electric wires started sparking which led to a fire inside the gurdwara. However, the granthi managed to save the holy ‘bir’ which would have burnt completely otherwise.
After being informed, deputy superintendent of police (DSP) Devinder Singh Sandhu and station house officer (SHO) Bikram Singh rushed to the village. “A report has been registered about the incident and the police are further investigating it,” said the SHO, adding, “Burnt clothes and palki have been sent to Goindwal Sahib for its cremation as per Sikh tenets”.
DSP Sandhu said the management committees of all gurdwaras should make adequate arrangements to prevent short circuits.