Boy goes missing from observation home | punjab | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 19, 2017-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Boy goes missing from observation home

punjab Updated: Oct 05, 2012 23:45 IST
Tarsem Singh Deogan
Tarsem Singh Deogan
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

A 10-year-old boy has gone missing under mysterious circumstances from Child Helpline observation home at Talwandi Khurd, allegedly on the very day (September 23) railway protection force (RPF) men caught him from local railway station.

Instead of informing police or RPF authorities concerned, officials of the observation home have allegedly remained silent on the issue.

The matter came to light after parents of the boy, Vijay, contacted observation home officials and RPF to seek custody of the child.

The parents said that Child Helpline officials were claiming that their boy scaled the compound wall and escaped on the very day RPF personnel brought him to the home.

Even after a passage of 12 days, the boy has failed to return home. His mother Poonam again contacted RPF officials on the issue on Friday.

RPF men had nabbed Vijay along with his two accomplices Jatinder and Suraj on September 23 from the railway station while they were allegedly consuming correction fluid. The children reportedly admitted that they stole the belongings of rail passengers and also begged to meet expenses on drugs.

Arvind Kumar, one of the staff at the observation home, claimed that the boy was hyperactive. He kept on distracting authorities by giving false information about his parents, he said.

Later, the home officials informed Vijay's parents and sent him along with his accomplices to the first floor of the premises, from where the boy fled.

Arvind Kumar said that they had informed the child welfare committee the same day, adding that the home had till date handed over 80 such children back to their parents.

On the other hand, Poonam rued in a choked voice that despite repeated visits and countless pleas to the home staff and police officials, her pleas for locating the body had fallen on deaf ears.
She is a resident of Jangpur village near Mullanpur and her husband is a labourer.

When contacted, Yashwant Singh, post commandant of RPF, maintained that the force had handed over the three children to the observation home officials. The home never informed them that the child had escaped, he claimed.