A day after HT highlighted that Moti Ram Arya Senior Secondary School had conducted a written test for admission to Classes 4 and 7, the education department officials sprung into action and issued a show-cause notice to the school, on Tuesday.
The said school has been given a day to send their response and cite an explanation for violating the norms under the Right to Education (RTE) Act. The school had held the entrance test on February 27 and declared the results on March 5.
Confirming the development, director school education (DSE) Rubinderjit Singh Brar said, “I have issued the instructions to the district education officer (DEO) to issue the show-cause notice before taking any further course of action.”
DEO Vinay Sood said the school had already been issued the notice and that the department was aware of the violation in this case and the proposal to address this issue had been included by the UT in the new education policy as well.
The school authorities had earlier shared their helplessness in the issue, stating that it will otherwise be unfair to select a child out of the multiple applications they receive, if some screening procedure was not held.
Sources in education department said the issue was being examined as in previous cases they were successful in cancelling a written test if it was brought to their notice. “However, in this case, the result had already been declared and hence, was of crucial importance to the department officials. Various other local schools have been involved in holding written admission tests for Classes 1 to 8 in violation of the Right to Education (RTE) Act,” sources said.