In a major embarrassment for the UT education department, more than 50% of Class- 9 students who re-appeared in the special examination in the last week of April have failed to make it again. Nearly 4,400 students re-appeared in this special exam.
HT has found out that more than 2,300 students flunked the exam, pointing to a new low in the academic standards of the “already beleaguered” UT education department.
The re-appear exam was necessitated after nearly 4,400 out of the 12,000 Class-9 students across 86 local government schools failed to secure mandatory 25% score in the written Summative Assessments (SAs) in the 2013-14 session.
Subsequently, they were made to re-appear in a special exam to get promoted to Class 10.
However, even after the special chance more than half of the students failed the exam.
Government High School, Hallomajra, topped the chart with its 195 out of 223 students, who re-appeared for the exam, failing to make it, followed by Government High School, Mauli Colony, where 145 out of 180 students could not clear the re-appear exam.
Shockingly, none of 114 Class 9 students of Government High School, Sector 25, who appeared for the special exam, were able to clear it.
A similar result came from GMSSS-8, where all 45 Class 9 students failed the exam. Contrary to the popular view, both urban as well as rural schools performed badly.
CBSE’S LATEST CIRCULAR CAUSES CONFUSION
Till last week, all gover nment schools were clear on the fact that all those students who will fail the re-appear exam will be detained in the same class and won’t be promoted to Class 10.
However, a latest circular issued by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) on May 1 has created confusion. The fresh circular said being the first year of implementation of mandatory 25% score, a number of students would not able to cope up even after the special examination.
In the light of this fact, one more chance would be given to Class-9 students for improving their performance in July.
Principal of GMSSS-Manimajra, Kund Bala said the school had already decided to detain the failed students in Class 9. But the latest notification has created fur ther confusion.
“The special exam will be held in July but what if these students also fail in the second attempt. It will then leave them neither in Class 9 nor in Class 10,” she said.
Prem Kaur, head of government high school, Karsan, said she had already held back the failed students in Class 9. She would make them sit in re-appear exam in July and if some of them clear the exam they would be promoted to the next class.
Several schools, however, asked the education department to clarify on this issue after the latest notification of the board. A department official said it will soon release a proper advisory to the students on the issue.