HindustanTimes Sat,12 Jul 2014

7 months after alleging murder attempt by husband, woman backtracks

Shailee Dogra , Hindustan Times  Chandigarh, May 17, 2013
First Published: 00:19 IST(17/5/2013) | Last Updated: 00:21 IST(17/5/2013)

Having accused and then got her husband arrested along with his alleged lover - both police officials -- on charges of trying to kill her last September, Santosh Devi on Thursday told the court that it was all a "misunderstanding".


The development comes as major respite to the two suspended UT cops --constables Rajesh Kumar and Niharika -- who are behind bars, facing trial for attempting to murder Rajesh's wife by drowning her in the river Ganga at Haridwar on August 18 last year. The police had arrested Rajesh and Niharika in October 2012, after a departmental inquiry conducted on Santosh's complaint found them guilty.

"The FIR was registered owing to a misunderstanding; nobody pushed me (in the Ganga). In fact, I had slipped and accidentally fallen into the Ganga in Haridwar," said Santosh before additional district and sessions judge, Preeti Sahni, who declared her hostile. Santosh also withdrew the allegation that Rajesh and Niharika were lovers. She has earlier termed their "illicit relations" as the reason why they wanted to kill her. Santosh admitted, though, that she along with her husband and Niharika had gone to Haridwar.

The complaint in the case was made on August 20, when Santosh claimed to have returned after surviving the "murder attempt" to her house in Police Lines, Sector 26. She had then confronted her husband, who had by then "cooked up a story" of his wife's death. He had told his family that Santosh died after falling in the Ganga "accidentally".

Santosh had also stated earlier that Rajesh had picked up Niharika in his car from Manimajra when they were on their way to Haridwar and had told her that Niharika was just taking a lift. He did not disclose Niharika's real name to her, it was alleged.

comment Note: By posting your comments here you agree to the terms and conditions of
blog comments powered by Disqus

more from Chandigarh

Body of man missing for eight days found

The body of Mansa Devi Complex resident and State Bank of Patiala (SBoP) senior manager Rajeev Sharma, who was missing since July 3, has been found from a canal in Hisar. According to the police, Sharma, 52, was suffering from depression and had been taking treatment for it.

Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved