Advertisement

HindustanTimes Thu,21 Aug 2014

Govt should look into records, reveal truth about Op Bluestar: Balbir Punj

ANI  New Delhi, January 14, 2014
First Published: 15:21 IST(14/1/2014) | Last Updated: 15:48 IST(14/1/2014)

Commenting on the claims that former Britain Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher's government may have helped former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi plan Operation Bluestar in 1984, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Balbir Punj Tuesday said the government should look into the records and reveal the truth.

Advertisement

"What has come in the public domain is very serious, and the government must look into the records to bring out the truth in front of the people. It is a sensitive issue and should be investigated in India as well, if it was being investigated outside," said Punj.

Rajya Sabha MP Mohammad Adeeb said that it is an extremely shameful thing if true, needed to be investigated.

"It is an extremely shameful thing for the Congress if it is true and needs to be investigated across party line," said Adeeb.

Avtar Singh of the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC) said that there should definitely be an investigation in the case, as everyone wants to know the truth.

"It is crucial that there be an investigation in this case. Even, British Prime Minister David Cameron has asked for it," he said.

"We all want to know the truth. If Indira Gandhi was involved in the operation she must have had the information. Without the government's consent this could not have happened," he added.

Rajya Sabha MP Tarlochan Singh said that the intentions of the government to attack the Golden Temple at that time were clear.

"This is condemnable. Blue star happened on 5 June 1984 and I was posted at Rastrapathi Bhavan at that time. The president was not informed about the army activities and the prime minister had announced on the radio that she had no option," said Singh.

"The intensions of the government to attack the Golden Temple were clear and many agencies are involved. The Congress power called foreign offices to guide us in the intelligent. This is very shameful and all of opposition party should take up this and investigate," he said.

British Prime Minister David Cameron has directed his cabinet secretary to establish the facts behind claims that Margaret Thatcher's government may have helped Indira Gandhi plan Operation Bluestar in 1984.

Labour MP Tom Watson and Lord Indarjit Singh had demanded an explanation after recently declassified documents indicated that Britain's Special Air Service (SAS) officials had been dispatched to help India on the planning on the raid of the Golden Temple to take out militants from the shrine, an operation left more than 1,000 people dead.

"These events led to a tragic loss of life and we understand the very legitimate concerns that these papers will raise. The Prime Minister has asked the cabinet secretary to look into this case urgently and establish the facts," a UK government spokesperson said in a statement issued in London on Monday night, according to reports.

"The PM and the foreign secretary were unaware of these papers prior to publication. Any requests today for advice from foreign governments are always evaluated carefully with full ministerial oversight and appropriate legal advice," he added.


New Delhi, Britain Prime Minister, Margaret Thatcher, Prime Minister, Indira Gandhi plan Operation Bluestar in 1984, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Balbir Punj Tuesday said the government should look into the records and reveal the truth.

"What has come in the public domain is very serious, and the government must look into the records to bring out the truth in front of the people. It is a sensitive issue and should be investigated in India as well, if it was being investigated outside," said Punj.

comment Note: By posting your comments here you agree to the terms and conditions of www.hindustantimes.com
blog comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement
more from Chandigarh

Panchkula: Minor girl accuses mother of pushing her into prostitution

A 16-year-old girl has accused her mother and stepfather of forcing her into prostitution in her statement before a court here on Wednesday. In her statement, she revealed that she was drugged before being sent for sex work and the practice continued for about a year against her wishes. She stated that her parents were earning as much as ` 60,000 per week.
Advertisement

 
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved