Advertisement

HindustanTimes Fri,28 Nov 2014

HC stays Ludhiana DC's order on cancellation of 20 red cards

HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times  Chandigarh, February 14, 2013
First Published: 00:02 IST(14/2/2013) | Last Updated: 00:07 IST(14/2/2013)

The Punjab and Haryana high court on Wednesday put stay on the Ludhiana deputy commissioner's January 29 order of cancelling red cards issued to 20 victims of the 1984 riots and directing them to return compensation of Rs. 2 lakh each.

Advertisement


While taking up the petition filed by residents of Dugri in Ludhiana, Satnam Singh and 12 others, the court of justice Rajiv Narain Raina also issued notices of motion to the Punjab government, Ludhiana deputy commissioner and sub-divisional magistrate, Ludhiana (west) for May 8.

The deputy commissioner had also sent letters to various authorities, including all deputy commissioners of the state, that in case these 20 red cardholders had been allotted any flat, house or booth under the state policy, their allotment be cancelled immediately.

Arguing for the petitioners, advocate Mansur Ali said the deputy commissioner in an arbitrary manner cancelled the red cards issued to the petitioners despite the fact that those cards were made as per the state government's policies.

The court was informed that after the high court directions on a PIL filed by Sikh Danga Peerat Welfare Committee Punjab regarding issuance of red cards to some of people illegally, the deputy commissioner had ordered inquiry into the case.

It was further stated that red cards of the petitioners were cancelled despite the fact that the petitioners had submitted all comprehensive proofs to the authorities that during the 1984 riots, they were displaced from various other cities and states.

comment Note: By posting your comments here you agree to the terms and conditions of www.hindustantimes.com
blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement
more from Chandigarh

Sukhbir responsible for ouster of ABP channel: Khaira

Punjab Congress spokesman Sukhpal Khaira on Friday accused deputy chief minister Sukhbir Badal of forcing the ABP media group to wind up its Punjabi news channel, ABP Sanjha, which, he said was a hit at the state government's claim of generating job opportunities in the state.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved